Maurice Howe wrote:
This guy makes it indelibly clear why users are sometimes encouraged to try

I concur this is an example of a user that, while he managed to solve it in the end, is quite problematic, noisy, and won't follow any advice longer than one line (even though he succeeded when he finally tried). And our solution is easy but not super-easy.

I see three ways (two requiring OpenOffice development) to solve this:

1. An OpenOfficeProfileFixer.exe (so to say; I'm note referring to something that exists) file that simply renames the user profile under Windows. This will cover the large majority of the clueless users. This can exist as a separate tool, hosted by an OpenOffice committer is his personal space at apache.org.

2. An option to "start clean" at install time, that renames a possibly existing OpenOffice profile.

3. A Tools - Reset default settings menu item that renames the profile at the next restart of OpenOffice.

There is nothing to fix in the OpenOffice code. Profile corruption happens due to many factors, but it is not linked to OpenOffice in a clear way: it involves user profiles that are carried over from OpenOffice 2.x or 3.x and may already be damaged but working.

So in the end one of the three options above is the best mitigation.

Regards,
  Andrea.