> If one host is down because of network interrupt or power
> failure, the engine should know how many HA VMs are down and find
> out the VM images on the storage domain to start the VM instances on
> another host in the cluster. Why do we need power manager to be
> configured?

Power management allows the Manager to start highly available virtual machines
on new hosts without worrying that virtual machine hard disk images will be
corrupted.

Imagine a situation in which the Manager cannot communicate with the host a
highly available virtual machine is running on. If the host is still running as
expected, and the virtual machine is also still running, the virtual machine is
writing to its hard disk image.

If the Manager starts that virtual machine on another host in the cluster, then
both virtual machine instances will try and write to the disk image, and cause
hard disk corruption.

Power management lets the Manager be sure that only one instance of the highly
available virtual machine is running, because the instance on the host the
Manager couldn't communicate cannot survive a host reboot.

Tim Hildred, RHCE
Content Author II - Engineering Content Services, Red Hat, Inc.
Brisbane, Australia
Email: thild...@redhat.com
Internal: 8588287
Mobile: +61 4 666 25242