Il giorno gio 20 lug 2023 alle ore 20:36 Alex McWhirter <a...@triadic.us>
ha scritto:

> Largely package / feature support. RHEL is clearly betting the farm on
> OpenShift / OKD. Which is fine, but the decision to depreciate / remove
> things in RHEL (spice qxl, gluster) are also reflected in CentOS Stream.
> Even if you want to backport things to Stream as rebuilds of old / existing
> packages to re-enable some of those features you are now fighting a moving
> target. Would be easier to target RHEL than Stream if that is the goal.
>
> Fedora has no such depreciation of features, has a larger package library,
> and more room to grow oVirt into something more compelling. If the decision
> is made to base on CentOS Stream, might aa well base on Fedora instead as
> neither is going to have the full enterprise life cycle of RHEL and both
> will break things here and there. At least with Fedora you don't have to
> maintain an ever growing list of things to maintain to keep oVirt's feature
> set in tact.
>
> In short, targeting RHEL over Fedora made sense when CentOS existed as a
> downstream rebuild, when RHV was a product still, and when the entire oVirt
> feature set was supported by RHEL. None of those things are true today, and
> instead of targeting a psuedo RHEL where you still have to maintain a bunch
> of extra depreciated packages without the lifecycle commitment, Fedora
> makes more sense to me.
>
> My two cents anyways, for my use case not having Gluster or spice is a
> breaking change. While i wouldn't mind contributing to oVirt here and there
> as needed if someone picks up the pieces, i don't have the resources to
> also maintain the growing list of depreciated / cut features in the base OS.

Ok, I understand the point.
You may consider opening a poll and ask the user community if they would
prefer to have less features and stay on CentOS Stream and derivatives or
if they would prefer more features and move to Fedora.
If there's enough consensus around the move, you can try to gather some
interest around it and get some help pushing for this change.

--

Sandro Bonazzola

MANAGER, SOFTWARE ENGINEERING - Red Hat In-Vehicle Operating System

Red Hat EMEA <https://www.redhat.com/>

sbona...@redhat.com
<https://www.redhat.com/>

*Red Hat respects your work life balance. Therefore there is no need to
answer this email out of your office hours.*