This is the normative reference.

RFC 822, pg. 30, section 6.2.3
msg-id = "<" addr-spec ">";
addr-spec = local-part "@" domain;
domain = sub-domain *("." sub-domain);
sub-domain = domain-ref / domain-literal;

<<a domain-ref must be THE official name of a registry, network, or host>>

Note that the "@" must also be present as part of the well-formed-formula.
When absent, the string is not well formed, and a syntax error occurs.

RFC 5322, pg. 27, section 3.6.4

<<  The message identifier (msg-id) itself MUST be a globally unique
   identifier for a message.  The generator of the message identifier
   MUST guarantee that the msg-id is unique.  There are several
   algorithms that can be used to accomplish this.  Since the msg-id has
   a similar syntax to addr-spec (identical except that quoted strings,
   comments, and folding white space are not allowed), a good method is
   to put the domain name (or a domain literal IP address) of the host
   on which the message identifier was created on the right-hand side of
   the "@" (since domain names and IP addresses are normally unique),
   and put a combination of the current absolute date and time along
   with some other currently unique (perhaps sequential) identifier
   available on the system (for example, a process id number) on the
   left-hand side.  Though other algorithms will work, it is RECOMMENDED
   that the right-hand side contain some domain identifier (either of
   the host itself or otherwise) such that the generator of the message
   identifier can guarantee the uniqueness of the left-hand side within
   the scope of that domain. >>

Happy new year.