Olivier Nicole wrote:
>> It's not a matter of cultural imperialism, if that's what you're getting at.
>>
>> It's an acknowledgment of the importance of the "rule of law" in cyberspace.
>>

> Except that I don't think it is anything close to a rule of law, but
> rather a sign of short view.
>
> As I said, I doubt you ever got any spam from my organisation (either
> originated from, or relayed).
>
>> Some countries enforce anti-spam, anti-trespass laws.  Others lack them
>> or don't enforce them.
>>

> The attitude goes by organisation, not by country.

"we" know almost all countries. I don't even know a small part of the
organizations in my own town. and there is no DNS equivalent of whois.

>> When these countries put some teeth into the enforcement of their laws,
>> then they will stop being blacklisted.
>>

> Plus if we would to ban the oginating country for 50% of spam (not my
> figure), USA should be banned.
>
> But hey, that is a too big cut from Internet, so in some way it is
> cultural imperialism.

I won't argue about imperialism.

but some people block countries based on the fact that they get very few
mail from these countries, so the propability of an FP is very low.
Ironically, such an approach is used by people who fear FPs too much
that they don't use "common" checks such as DNSBLs, basic helo checks,
... etc.