John D. Hardin wrote:
On Mon, 5 Nov 2007, Steven Kurylo wrote:

Philip Prindeville wrote:
Between the truly clueless administrator, and those that feign ignorance to cover up their implicit approval of spammers...

What do you do in the case where someone is filtering deliveries to their "abuse" mailbox? (Like 99% of mail sent there isn't going to score positively...)

I have a form note that I send to the postmaster address whenever a report to the abuse address is bounced. It says (1) you need a working abuse address and (2) you shouldn't filter it.

I filter my abuse address.  Otherwise it would get so many spam
messages, the ham would get lost in the noise.

Only send the headers.  If the body is actually needed post it on
some webpage.

To heck with that. If I have to jump through that many hoops to report
abuse in *your* network, I'm just going to roundfile it. It's enough
work to pick out all of the relevant abuse addresses to forward the
message to, and note the type of abuse (lottery, 419, money
laundering, etc.).

I almost don't report abuse to Yahoo because they refuse to deal with
RFC-822 attachments and want the entire original message in the body,
and that makes reporting abuse containing a Yahoo.* contact address
two separate operations - forward as attachment to the relay owner,
and forward in the body to Yahoo.

Well, Yahoo is a waste of time for other reasons, right? They tell you that it doesn't come from their site... but to use the top-most Received: line's IP address, then to look that up on ARIN.... which... surprise! ... typically points to Yahoo! (or one of their surrogates, like Inktomi... do their tier-1 people not *know* that Yahoo owns Inktomi? or are they just playing dumb?).

-Philip