Michael Hutchinson wrote:
I have tried different approaches, and let us not forget I have
filled
out 3 whitelist forms, and received no response from Yahoo. Their
service
is breaking RFC's by not delivering mail. They are ignorant towards
other
companies trying to use their service.
But they do deliver the mail. You've even said so above. If this is
for
paid for accounts, I can see there being an issue. If it is for free
accounts, how do you think they make their money to support free
accounts? By requiring the free accounts to login to do some things.

Delivering mail via a filter we have no control of, directly to a folder
the user never see's, is not delivering mail, in my book. Or a lot of
people's book.

This doesn't break the RFC. This is bad service for their users, not a conformance issue. A lot of people put mail believed to be spam in a spam folder or a quarantine. The problem is when people don't check their Junk folder. I would prefer if providers let users actively opt in, or at least warn them or whatever, but as you know design is driven by the needs for $lusers, because they represent the majority of people. lusers would quit the service if they get too much spam. on the other hand, every free webmail user I've discussed with said "I never get any spam and I never lost any mail at ${foo bar webmail}". and this is what makes a service "successful" from a business perspective ;-p

PS. Silently discarding mail is another issue. I've seen this at hotmail and not at yahoo (I don't mean it doesn't happen at yahoo, I simply mean that my own tests didn't show such behaviour).

It is for paid accounts, by the way.

I'm not about to start seeing that what Yahoo is doing is acceptable or
correct. No matter what "sense" you try and make of it.

"junking" a lot of legitimate mail is bad in any site (discarding is worst). This means the filter quality is bad (too many FPs). that said, it is the account owner's responsibility to complain or to find a more reliable provider, unless said owner is happy not getting too much spam.

I've had the problem with yahoo, gmail and hotmail last year. it was ultimately "fixed" (without DKIM btw) but the site didn't send a "huge" quantity of mail, and wasn't really bulk. It was a "social" application, but members could generate too much mail (to my taste) to their own addresses (get alerts regarding their "friends" events). so the issue is not that of sending mail to a lot of people, but sending a lot of mail to few people. this is easier but still challenging.