On Sat, 21 Jan 2017, Kevin Golding wrote:

On Sat, 21 Jan 2017 16:35:12 -0000, David Jones <djo...@ena.com> wrote:

I think the "barrier to entry" is too difficult for most. I would have to setup a new MX on a domain without MTA checks (DNS and RBL) then create a honeypot email address to attract spam if I didn't have established recipient addresses/mailboxes.

I may be wrong but I don't believe the majority of the current masscheckers have honeypots in place. I also believe that at least some have some form of filtering in place - in fact the most common filtering in place is the manual classification since I bet most of us come across the odd message that we second guess and just put to one side.

Likely true. What I contribute is what gets throgh Zen to my personal mailbox, for example. I did liberally sprinkle "ideally" through my description... :)

Then I would have to setup an SA development
environment with scripts to keep it up-to-date from SVN and compiled regularly.

I forget the exact steps involved for running the checks because basically I set it up and largely forget about it, but essentially it was grab an svn copy of SpamAssassin, pick one of the various helper scripts, create a config and let cron deal with the daily workload of updating/checking/submitting - it's all done in the helper scripts.

Right, that's pretty much all there is: install and schedule the local masscheck script. It's not quite totally black box, but pretty close. You do, however, have to get all the bits working initially.

I like the idea of a VM image.

 An operating system design that requires a system reboot in order to
 install a document viewing utility does not earn my respect.
 2 days until John Moses Browning's 162nd Birthday