Lmhelp1 wrote:

> The other thing is : do you have the code of that webapp and could you change it ?

Yes, I can.

> And why do the files have to be owned by user1/group1 ? Is it because some other process must be able to read/write them ?

The other process is me :)
The webapp stores files in a directory.
I, as a human, check these files.
And when I'm ready, I put them manually in another directory (in the "WebContent" directory of the webapp to be more precise).
I just do not want to put the files directly online.

> Can you not give to this other process the permissions to read/write the files of tomcat6/tomcat6 ? That may be easier to achieve.

Yes, well, if I log in as "tomcat6", it will work.

Maybe easier :
supposing that your user-id is "lmhelp1".
Do "adduser lmhelp1 tomcat6"
(that will add your user-id to the group tomcat6).
Then logout, and login again.
Then you would already have the permissions to read/write any file that has the appropriate permissions to allow this for the group tomcat6.
That may be enough for what you need to do.