Lmhelp1 wrote:
On 2014-03-11 7:44 PM, André Warnier [via Tomcat] wrote:
Maybe easier :
supposing that your user-id is "lmhelp1".
Do "adduser lmhelp1 tomcat6"
(that will add your user-id to the group tomcat6).
Then logout, and login again.
Then you would already have the permissions to read/write any file that
has the appropriate permissions to allow this for the group tomcat6.
That may be enough for what you need to do.

Hello,

> Then you would already have the permissions to read/write any file that has the appropriate permissions to allow this for the group tomcat6.

(I'm not sure that I completely understand this sentence.)

Yet, thank you for the advice about adding the user "lmhelp1" to the group "tomcat6". That's a good idea but "tomcat6", as a the owner group of the files that are created, doesn't have the write permission by default on these files...

If all you need to do, is to
1) read those files, to look at them
2) if they are ok, move them somewhere else
3) if they are not ok, delete them
then (under Linux) you do not need write permissions to the files themselves.
To be able to read a file, you need :
- read and "browse" (x) access to the directory where these files are, and any directory above that one, up to "/". To be able to move a file from one directory to another, you need write permission to the source directory and the target directory (and not necessarily to the file). To be able to delete a file, you need write permission to the directory where the file resides (and not necessarily to the file). Moving or deleting a file, is an operation which changes the content of the directory containing the file. It does not modify the file itself, so you do not need write permission to the file.

So, since you have access to the code of the upload webapp, you can decide in which directory it writes the uploaded files. And since you have full control of the system, you can set the permissions of that upload directory as you wish them to be. So if you set the upload directory to belong to user tomcat6, and to have write permission for the group (tomcat6), and you add your own user-id to the group tomcat6, then you should be able, under your own login, to move and/or delete these files (independently of the permissions of the files themselves).

I'm interested in ACLs but for now, I solved my problem by logging into the server as "tomcat6" (via SSH).

That is interesting, but it implies that you have modified the standard user tomcat6 in such a way that it now has a "shell" when it logs in. By default, this user would have been created with "/bin/false" as a shell entry (in /etc/passwd). That would prevent a shell login as that user, and it is a security feature. It normally prevents anyone who has managed to take control of your Tomcat server (though a malicious or buggy webapp e.g.), to easily obtain a shell and being able to execute any command on your server through such a shell. By changing this, you weaken the security of your system. In your particular case, it may not matter very much. But in the general case, that is not a good thing. Remember that a hacker which gains access to your server, cannot only do damage to your server. He can use your server as a platform to do damage to other servers, making it look like it is your server doing it.

Example: your webapp allows users to upload files to your server. How does your webapp handle the file names, for the files that the user uploads ? Do you use the original filename that the user provides ? If yes, are you filtering this filename for characters that may have a meaning for a shell (like "|" or "<" or ">" or "&" etc..) ?

Regarding ACls : under Linux, the usage of "setfacl" and siblings is kind of a dark art, reserved to wizards of the 3rd level and up. I know relatively little about them, but one thing which I think that I remember, is that you must "enable ACLs" on the filesystem in which you want to use them, in the command that mounts that filesystem.
Maybe that is what was missing in your case ?