Hi Chris,
Thanks for the speedy response.
> Do you have any evidence that there is a performance advantage, here?
> localhost TCP is quite fast.

Sorry, I should have provided more details while posting the query.
Due to a security policy that mandates that a certain type of sensitive data
flowing over a communication channel must be encrypted, we are using SSL. If
the communication channel were to be Unix Domain sockets, we do not need to
encrypt the data, based on the data classification for this use-case.
Thanks again,
srini_