Graham,

On 9/24/15 2:56 PM, Graham Leggett wrote:
> On 23 Sep 2015, at 22:05, André Warnier (tomcat) <a...@ice-sa.com>
> wrote:
>
>> - you convince whoever wrote that requirement, that an internal
>> TCP connection within the same host, is no less secure than a
>> Unix Domain socket
>
> +1.

While I obviously agree with the sentiment, I do feel bad for the OP
who has to fight this battle.

It's been a while since I did socket programming in C, but IIRC it's
abstract enough that binding to an AF_INET socket and an AF_UNIX
socket is roughly equivalent, so it shouldn't be /that/ hard to do
this, in theory.

The problems I can think of are as follows:

1. All the code we currently have in tcnative uses APR for everything,
and I'm not sure if APR supports AF_UNIX sockets, or even if it would
have to support them to do this.

2. The plumbing required to configure an AF_UNIX socket is
non-trivial, and it's currently all wired-around using AF_INET
sockets, so it's got hostname, port, etc. I suppose we could stuff the
inode's name into the hostname and ignore the port number or something
like that, but it's fairly hacky.

3. mod_jk would need to be modified in exactly the same way.

So this is a non-trivial amount of work, here.

Srini, is there any chance your employer would pay someone to write
this code? Patches are always welcome, and Tomcat is otherwise
completely free...