Graham,

On 9/25/15 7:23 PM, Graham Leggett wrote:
> On 25 Sep 2015, at 10:33 PM, Christopher Schultz
> <ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:
>
>> While I obviously agree with the sentiment, I do feel bad for
>> the OP who has to fight this battle.
>
> It is important however to clarify that this isn’t a typical
> scenario, lest someone cites this thread as to why they should be
> doing the same thing.
>
>> 1. All the code we currently have in tcnative uses APR for
>> everything, and I'm not sure if APR supports AF_UNIX sockets, or
>> even if it would have to support them to do this.
>
> The as-yet-unreleased v1.6 of APR does support unix domain
> sockets, although the docs for it don’t appear to be very clear.
>
>> 2. The plumbing required to configure an AF_UNIX socket is
>> non-trivial, and it's currently all wired-around using AF_INET
>> sockets, so it's got hostname, port, etc. I suppose we could
>> stuff the inode's name into the hostname and ignore the port
>> number or something like that, but it's fairly hacky.
>
> Currently APR seems to accept the UDS filename where the IP
> address would otherwise be provided.
>
>> So this is a non-trivial amount of work, here.
>>
>> Srini, is there any chance your employer would pay someone to
>> write this code? Patches are always welcome, and Tomcat is
>> otherwise completely free…
>
> If there was a push for unix domain sockets from Tomcat it would
> definitely help working out whether the APR_UNIX implementation
> does what it needs to do, and gets properly documented and v1.6
> released.

I don't really see this happening.

I'm fairly sure that the widespread use of HTTP/2 is going to kill AJP
forever, leaving only mod_proxy_http(2) as a viable long-term
connector. Nobody is ever going to bother writing an AF_UNIX connector
for HTTP/2, so I think this idea is very likely to die in this thread.