On 1/22/2016 6:06 AM, Christoph P.U. Kukulies wrote:
Windows 7:

Today I installed Java 8 on my windows 7 machine and did an upgrade of the CMS at the same time (from OpenCMS 9.5.2 to 9.5.3). After the Java update and the CMS update suddenly my tomcat 6.0.39 didn't start any longer. The service gave an error at start time:

Der Dienst "Apache Tomcat 6.0 Tomcat6" wurde mit folgendem dienstspezifischem Fehler beendet: Unzulässige Funktion..

I've seen this on Windows when upgrading the JRE. The solution that worked for me (multiple times) was to uninstall Java, and then re-install it. Make sure you grab the correct version (x86, x64) to go with your Tomcat install.

My thoughts came to tomcat6 possibly not being compatible with Java8 and so I decided to install tomcat 7.0 which started fine.

When starting my CMS system again I now found that it did some unpleasant things for which I wanted to rule out tomcat7 being the culprit
and switch the jvm.dll in the tomcat7 configurator to the jre1.7 jvm.dll.

Then suddenly I got the same error as under tomcat6.0 when I tried to start tomcat7 again.

Could it be that the Java8 installer screws the existing Java 7 ? Or does it change some global parameters that tomcat reads at start time.

Thanks.

--
Christoph