I'm having this very same issue with one slight difference.  I have six
Windows 2016 servers and logging works correctly on two of them.  I've gone
through nearly everything I can think of to determine what is different
about the two boxes that work and have hit a wall.  I have even done a full
compare of the Windows directory to no avail. The two boxes that do work
have two additional Windows Updates which I can't get to apply to the four
boxes that don't work: KB4013418 and KB3211320.  When I try to install those
updates on the boxes that don't work, I get "Update not applicable", likely
because those updates are superseded by KB4035631, which is also installed
on all six boxes.

--
Sent from: http://tomcat.10.x6.nabble.com/Tomcat-User-f1968778.html