Mark,

On 4/28/20 13:33, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 28/04/2020 16:30, Satya Kishore Thumu wrote:
>> Hi Chris, Post the Ghostcat changes tomcat now listens only on
>> ipv4 by default, what if somebody is using on IPv6, Tomcat starts
>> to listen on mapped IPv4 address which I think is not
> correct.
>> I know that we can use ::1 in IPv6. Is there a way tomcat can
>> listen on both loopback addresses when
> available.
>
> Not that I am aware of with the Java API.

I think we had discussed the possibility of looking for a "magic"
value in the address="..." field to go back to the previous behavior.
The problem is that any reasonable string you can choose can also be a
valid hostname that should, arguably, be used to resolve the IP
address of the interface (e.g. "localhost").

I think the only practical way to do this would be to add another
attribute like bindOnAllInterfaces="true" where we ignore the
"address" attribute. Or maybe "address" always wins, but
bindOnAllInterfaces="false" is the default.

Because it is possible to bind to all interfaces, right? Just don't
specify a specific interface when creating the server socket?

- -chris

>> -----Original Message----- From: Christopher Schultz
>> <ch...@christopherschultz.net> Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 8:19
>> PM To: users@tomcat.apache.org Subject: Re: Issue with AJP
>> listener
>>
>> Satya,
>>
>> On 4/28/20 06:06, Satya Kishore Thumu wrote:
>>> We are using apache before Tomcat as front end and using modjk
>>> for connection between apache and Tomcat. After upgrading
>>> tomcat(to 7.0.100 as we have other dependencies we can't use
>>> latest as of now), i'm unable to use ajp.host as "localhost" in
>>> IPv6 and works only with ::1. Need help if there is any
>>> configuration that can be done to use localhost even in IPv6
>>> environment.
>>
>> The issue is that Tomcat changed its default "address" from "all
>> interfaces" to "localhost". This change was made in Tomcat
>> 7.0.100 in the 7.0.x branch.
>>
>> Apache httpd and Java may disagree as to how "localhost"
>> resolves. If you want to force Tomcat to use the IPv4 address,
>> you should be able to do this in your conf/server.xml:
>>
>> <Connector address="127.0.0.1" ... />
>>
>> Then restart Tomcat. This will cause Tomcat to bind to the IPv4
>> flavor of "localhost" and httpd should be abel to communicate
>> again.
>>
>> Note that there were other changes related to AJP connections in
>> the same version. Please read this carefully:
>>
>> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/changelog.html#Tomcat_7.0.100
_(v

ioletagg)