> Mark,
>
> On 4/28/20 13:33, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> On 28/04/2020 16:30, Satya Kishore Thumu wrote:
>>> Hi Chris, Post the Ghostcat changes tomcat now listens only on
>>> ipv4 by default, what if somebody is using on IPv6, Tomcat starts
>>> to listen on mapped IPv4 address which I think is not
>> correct.
>>> I know that we can use ::1 in IPv6. Is there a way tomcat can
>>> listen on both loopback addresses when
>> available.
>
>> Not that I am aware of with the Java API.
>
> I think we had discussed the possibility of looking for a "magic"
> value in the address="..." field to go back to the previous behavior.
> The problem is that any reasonable string you can choose can also be a
> valid hostname that should, arguably, be used to resolve the IP
> address of the interface (e.g. "localhost").

There is the empty string. We could use that as equivalent to the
wildcard address (listen on all interfaces).

There is no option I am aware of (before or after the AJP changes) that
would allow listening on just 127.0.0.1 and ::1

> I think the only practical way to do this would be to add another
> attribute like bindOnAllInterfaces="true" where we ignore the
> "address" attribute. Or maybe "address" always wins, but
> bindOnAllInterfaces="false" is the default.

I'm not a fan of another attribute unless we really have to.

> Because it is possible to bind to all interfaces, right? Just don't
> specify a specific interface when creating the server socket?

Yes.

Mark