On 30/04/2020 10:02, Martin Grigorov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 11:15 AM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On 29/04/2020 18:11, Christopher Schultz wrote:
>>> Mark,

>>> I think we had discussed the possibility of looking for a "magic"
>>> value in the address="..." field to go back to the previous behavior.
>>> The problem is that any reasonable string you can choose can also be a
>>> valid hostname that should, arguably, be used to resolve the IP
>>> address of the interface (e.g. "localhost").
>>
>> There is the empty string. We could use that as equivalent to the
>> wildcard address (listen on all interfaces).
>>

> The suggestion we discussed few weeks back was to have a special value for
> "address" that would mean "localhost both IPv4 & IPv6", e.g.
> "tomcat:localhost".
> If this special value is used then Tomcat can create two Connector
> instances, one for 127.0.0.1 and another for ::1, and use the rest of the
> Connector settings for both of them.

That gets messy, quickly. What do you do about the thread pools? Split
maxThreads between them somehow? Use an executor? I think it is better
to leave that to the system admin.

I would expect "localhost" to resolve to the same thing for both httpd
and Tomcat. There may be more mileage in figuring out what this isn't
the case and solving that problem.

Mark