On Mon, Jun 22, 2020, 01:04 Brian <brian...@emailbb.com> wrote

[ snip ]

- For some reason, the people at Ubuntu/Debian/Linux decided that Tomcat's
> log should be found inside syslog, instead of staying independent inside
> "catalina.out". Why is that? I don't know and I don't like it!

[ snip ]
.
Sorry - don't have a specific answer for your Ubuntu implementation.
.
However, this is one reason we do not use "distro-specific" Tomcat
installations (to include implementations of WebSphere and WebLogic).
.
For example, we grab the plain vanilla Tomcat ZIP and extract it to "/opt/"
(as in "/opt/tomcat/") - we now have complete control over its
configuration and runtime instantiation.