On 8/23/2022 1:47 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
On 23/08/2022 02:45, Terence M. Bandoian wrote:
Recently, message attachments that appear blank in my e-mail client have been included in the Tomcat users mailing list digest.  Some users' messages are normally not blank (e.g. Tomcat committers and others). Messages from other users are.  Replies to "blank" messages by users whose messages are not blanked include the original message.  My e-mail client has not changed.

This message is a forward of a digest in which all of the message attachments appear blank in my e-mail client.  They also appear blank in GMail.  However, the attachments do include data which may be accessed by viewing the message source.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I haven't. I use Thunderbird as an email client.

Is this something that can be fixed by anyone on this list?

I don't think it is purely a list level configuration issue. I suspect a combination sender's email client, list server behaviour (possibly digest related) and receiver's email client.

What I would recommend is sending emails in plain text ("proper" plain text - not a plain text part in a multi-part message).

Should it be reported on the Tomcat bugzilla or somewhere else?

If you can show that the ASF list software is violating a relevant RFC then you can raise an issue with the ASF infrastructure team via the ASF Jira instance. That said, my experience is that it is email clients that tend to play fast and loose with the RFCs.

In addition, I have been unable to send e-mail to users@tomcat.apache.org from tere...@tmbsw.com which I have used on this list since at least 2005.  I receive the following error reply:

I've checked the list subscription and you appear to be listed twice. I'm not sure if that is causing issues so I have removed one of the subscriptions.

Mark

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at apache.org.

<users@tomcat.apache.org>:
Must be sent from an @apache.org address or a subscriber address or an address in LDAP.

Has something changed?  Do I need to reconfigure my mail server?  If so, in what way?

-Terence Bandoian

Hi, Mark-

Thanks for looking into this. It appears there were/are two problems.

First, I was suddenly unable to send e-mail to the list using an e-mail address that I have used on the list since at least 2005, as mentioned above. I got around this by (re)subscribing to both users and users-digest. This may be why you found my e-mail address listed twice as a subscriber.

What isn't clear is whether a subscription to the list in the non-digest form is now required to send messages to the list. (I was previously subscribed to the digest only and had been able to send messages to the list.) I should be able to test this without too much trouble.

Second, some attachments in the digest are still not displayed in Thunderbird (shown as blank).I previously mistakenly reported that some digest attachments were not displayed in gmail but that looks to have been due to operator error as I'm now able to see attachments in gmail including those shown as blank in Thunderbird.

I'll keep looking at this and report back to the list if I learn anything useful.

Thanks again for your time and effort.

-Terence Bandoian