Use your router's instructions to set "port forwarding". You will need to specify the port the outside world will connect to, and what port on your machine those connections will be forwarded to. The details vary by router manufacturer and model, so we can't give you specific instructions. However, even this may not work if your cable company does not allow external connections to ports on their customers' systems, which is quite common if you have a residential (as opposed to a business) connection.

If all of the above work, then the outside world will connect to http://your.static.ip.address:port/whatever.jsp, and it will be forwarded to port 8080 on your machine.

Dave

CANADAFAST INC. wrote:

Hello!
I am a new tomcat 5.5 user. I have created some JSPs and they run perfectly in my PC using tomcat. I want to make my PC a webserver, so that ppl from outside can access my JSPs through tomcat 5.5 running on my system. My PC is connected to a router and my router is connected to a cable modem which has a static ip address from my cable ISP. But after that I don't know what to do further. How should I configure my tomcat, so that ppl from outside can access my JSP website. hOW SHOULD i access my pc from outside through my linksys router from port 8080 in which tomcat is running on my pc. Thank you