Hi.

Maybe slightly off-topic, but having a moment of blues and lack of inspiration/motivation about working on what I should really be working on, and just in the spirit of communicating a "user experience"...

We are using Apache and Tomcat to provide an application, both on-site and in ASP mode, in total on about 50 different hosts right now. Our Apache/Tomcat setup is quite simple, and in fact just about the only original reason for which we are using Tomcat, is that one part of our application, which we get from another supplier, requires it as part of the interface to a back-end database system. What we do on that database system is demanding from a system point of view, but not really stressful from a Tomcat or Apache/Tomcat connector point of view. By that I mean that we do not have thousands of concurrent requests to Tomcat, it's more like 10-100 at the most. Neither do we need load-balancing or anything sophisticated like that, and we usually run just one Apache and one Tomcat on a single host. (Not always, just most of the time). We run this about 80% under Linux, 10% other Unixes, 10% Windows. Because we started this several years ago, we use mod_jk 1.2.x as a connector, as it was then the only connector available, and the setup was the same under Windows and Unix/Linux.

All of this to say that in all these years, I guess a reasonable number of hundreds of thousands (or millions) of requests have been processed through mod_jk, and we have never had any significant problem with it.

I had a problem a couple of months ago, due to a valid but peculiar configuration of mine (I tend to use "SetHandler jakarta-servlet" in Apache, rather than the more usual JkMount); I submitted the problem on this list and it elicited an immediate response, and a fix by Rainer Jung within the next 24h (at the most).

Even more recently, I had a customer problem in which basically mod_jk was not involved at all, but where the mod_jk log proved a very valuable source for tracking down the problem, and this list also proved a valuable source of information and suggestions.

I have had a look at mod_proxy_ajp, but did not find the available documentation very enlightening, nor the potential gains evident, and since indeed it seems to use the same AJP connector on the Tomcat side, and since we are basically happy with mod_jk, and since I am a great believer in the wisdom of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" maxim, I did not really pursue it very deeply.
That is not to say that mod_proxy_ajp is not good, I just never tried it.

Of course all that is also not to say that mod_jk might not be the right tool in other circumstances. But as far as we are concerned, I would state it like this : if a customer would come to us saying that they had a problem with our application, the mod_jk module would be among the very last pieces which I would suspect of being involved in the problem.