Ok perhaps I was unclear.

I have multiple instances of Tomcat installed and need to manage the
applications deployed on those instances.

Currently I must login with a username and password to each instance
/manager application through the normal user interface.

What I want to do is automate that so I can access that same instance with
that same username and password but via Web Services from a central location
using WSDL or REST.

Then I can deploy a new war file from a central location to all the
instances of tomcat that I manage.

My central location then would use SOAP or REST to connect to authenticate
and do the operations needed.

Ollie