Hmmm,

I am not looking for the contents of /manager either in HTML or XML.

The "manager" application you access at /manager/html can perform
"operations" like start, stop, deploy, undeploy, check status, etc.

out of the box I can setup a manager role and grant that to a user, login as
that user and access the /manager/html user interface to do these
operations.  In that I can upload a new war file, stop or start or undeploy
existing applications and check status.

With a Web Service Definition Language file that points to a SOAP Web
Service Implementation those same operations could be executed by posting a
SOAP message to the operations defined and pointed to by the WSDL file.

With the Web Services interface my central application can do all of the
operations, securely, and as part of a workflow, not requiring me to
navigate my browser to each instance of Tomcat and repeat an operation like
deploying a new war file to update all the instances that need it.