Mike Oliver wrote:
Unless I misunderstand,
- the first part of your problem is to be able to login once, and then have this login be valid for all separate Tomcat instances. - the second part of the problem is then, for each Tomcat instance, to be able to use manager-like functionalities to start/stop/load new applications and whatnot.

I'll tackle the first part, which amounts to an "enterprise-wide SSO issue".
Assuming that the same authenticated user-id can be used on all your Tomcat instances, as one possible solution I would use the following setup :

- an Apache httpd front-end, which does the authentication, using any Apache-compatible way for ditto - the Apache httpd front-end connects to Tomcat back-ends via the mod_jk connector module (on the Apache side), and an AJP Connector (on the Tomcat side)
- in the AJP <Connector> element on the Tomcat side, set the attribute :
tomcatAuthentication="false"

This will cause Tomcat to accept the user-id as authenticated by the httpd server (and passed on by mod_jk), and not redo the authentication at the Tomcat level (while still verifying that this user-id effectively belongs to a "Tomcat role" allowed to use the relevant functionality).

Now that the SSO issue is solved, my personal stab at the next issue would involve writing a mod_perl add_on module for Apache httpd, which would accept your "Tomcat management" commands, and distribute them to your back-end Tomcats, using the /manager interface that other more qualified people seem to suggest. Quite which front-end protocol this httpd add-on module accepts from the client side is up to you.

But that is of course because I am a mod_perl fan, and because for this kind of problem, it seems to me like the most flexible tool. Other people may have other suggestions.