I have developed an application which accesses a database via Hibernate as well
as directly via JDBC (datasource). The datasource is defined in the server.xml
file as follows:

    <Context path="" docBase="AddressBookServer.war">

          <Environment name="LicenseFile" value="Licensekey.license"
type="java.lang.String" override="true"/>
          <Environment name="BackupsFolder" value="../backups"
type="java.lang.String" override="true"/>

          <Resource name="jdbc/AddressBookDB" auth="Container"
type="javax.sql.DataSource"
             maxActive="25" maxIdle="5" maxWait="-1" removeAbandoned="true"
removeAbandonedTimeout="60" logAbandoned="true"
             username="sa" password="" driverClassName="org.h2.Driver"

url="jdbc:h2:tcp://localhost:28081/../db/AddressBookDB;LOCK_TIMEOUT=60000"/>

          <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm"
            driverName="org.h2.Driver"

connectionURL="jdbc:h2:tcp://localhost:28081/../db/AddressBookDB;LOCK_TIMEOUT=60000"
            connectionName="sa" connectionPassword=""
            userTable="WEBUSERS" userNameCol="USERID" userCredCol="PASSWORD"
            userRoleTable="WEBROLES" roleNameCol="ACCESSROLE"/>

        </Context>

By default I use an embedded H2 database and everything works great. The
numActive count goes up during activity and decreases to 0 when there is no
activity. Also the count generally matches the actual connections to the
database as one would expect. If I use the same application with PostgreSQL 8.4
however, the numActive count goes up and up, and only sometimes down. Generally
sitting around 25 even though PostgreSQL only reports 4 idle connection.

I already tried adding the following to my datasource configuration, however
this did not make any difference so far.
removeAbandoned="true" removeAbandonedTimeout="60" logAbandoned="true"

I am using Tomcat 6.0.18 on OS X 10.6.2 with Java 1.6.

Any suggestion on how I can debug this further why Tomcat reports an incorrect
numActive count and eventually runs out of possible connections. Currently it
has to be restarted several times a day with PostgreSQL.

Thanks in advance
Alex