> From: André Warnier [mailto:a...@ice-sa.com]
> Subject: Re: Re : Re : Re : Tomcat 5.5.29 does not accept connections
> from outside
>
> Can someone explain this a little bit more in detail, or point to some
> rough explanation page somewhere ?

Not really - this is a bit of a mystery.

> - why did that Tomcat 5.5.29 "listen only on IPv6" until it was forced
> to IPv4 by specifying "0.0.0.0" in the Connector ?

The key question.

> - why, when Tomcat is listening (only) on IPv6 [::]:8080, does it not
> accept telnet connections on port 8080 ?

Because the telnet client is likely making the request only on IPv4, since the
DNS mechanism (or hosts file) probably only has IPv4 addresses in it.

> - why, when Tomcat was listening (only) on IPv6 [::]:8080, did
> HTTP:8080 connections from a browser on localhost work, but not
> the ones from other stations ?

The internal one would have connected on the IPv6 loopback ([::1]), while the
outside ones most likely attempted only IPv4 connections.  We don't even know
if the OP's network supports IPv6 routing.

> - can you set Tomcat to listen on /both/ IPv4 and IPv6 on port 8080 at
> the same time ?

This should be the default, and that's what 5.5.17 appears to have been doing.
Why 5.5.29 doesn't exhibit the same behavior is TBD.

I haven't downloaded 5.5.29 yet, but it's on my list for this weekend, to see
what it does on my dual-stack machine.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.