I was wondering how to configure Request Filters to allow access to admin,
manager, status-report, etc... I followed tomcat doc:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/context.html#Request_Filters
and I was able to restrict access by specifying webapp names, e.g.:
[[[
        <Context path="/manager" >
                <Valve
className="org.apache.catalina.valves.RemoteAddrValve"
                        allow="127.0.0.1" deny=""/>
        </Context>
]]]

How can I deny access to default welcome/index page, changelog,
release-notes etc.?

I know just restricting access to default welcome/index page does not
restrict access to manager or admin links on that page. Still, I would like
to restrict access to welcome/index page in addition to admin/manager
webapps. I have tried "/" and "/ROOT" and it didn't work.

Any help or suggestions?

Thanks,
jM.