2010/7/18 Johan Martinez <jmart...@gmail.com>:
> I was wondering how to configure Request Filters to allow access to admin,
> manager, status-report, etc... I followed tomcat doc:
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/context.html#Request_Filters
> and I was able to restrict access by specifying webapp names, e.g.:
> [[[
>        <Context path="/manager" >
>                <Valve
> className="org.apache.catalina.valves.RemoteAddrValve"
>                        allow="127.0.0.1" deny=""/>
>        </Context>
> ]]]

as said in
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/valve.html#Remote%20Address%20Filter
the allow and deny attributes are regular expressions.  So, '.' has to
be escaped as '\.'.

(an example in
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/context.html#Request_Filters
is wrong)

I would recommend to omit the "deny" attribute instead of setting it
to an empty string.

If there are doubts, the source code for the classes is available.

> * I put following in the $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/ROOT/META-INF/context.xml ,
> but it's not working.
> (...)
> Also, this file is not being copied as
> $CATALINA_HOME/conf/Catalina/localhost/ROOT.xml.

The file in /conf/ takes priority over the one in the webapp's
META-INF, because it can be edited by a local administrator.

The copying from webapp's META-INF to tomcat's conf/  occurs only when
the file in conf/ does not exist, e.g. when a new web application is
deployed.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko