> From: Johan Martinez [mailto:jmart...@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: IP based request filters for admin/manager
>
> I don't want to replace the default ROOT webapp, in other
> words, I don't want my specific webapp to be ROOT app.

A little odd, but if that's your choice...

> But I would like to restrict/hide information normally
> exposed by the default ROOT webapp.

All of what Tomcat's default ROOT has, or just some of it?

For all of it, just place a <Context> element in
webapps/ROOT/META-INF/context.xml, configuring the valve you already know
about.  (Do not use path or docBase attributes here - they're not allowed.)  If
you only want to restrict some of it, but don't want to use authentication,
you'll need to write a more sophisticated filter.  There's no need to move or
rename ROOT, unless you're just trying to obscure things (and security through
obscurity is a fool's game).

> I removed 'manager' from webapps directory.

What version of Tomcat are you using?  If you're using 5.5.x (hinted at by your
server/webapps, not the regular webapps directory.  If you're using a newer
Tomcat (and you probably should be), manager is under the regular webapps
directory.

> Now I am not able to access http://hostname/manager

You never could - that will always get you a 404 (at least until Tomcat 7.0.1
comes out).

> but http://hostname/manager/html works.

That's the valid URL for the manager GUI.  Looks like you didn't really get rid
of it.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.