Stefan Mayr wrote:

Native SPNEGO in Tomcat sounds great. Waiting a little while depends on your scale of "little". Is there already some development we can follow? Will this use Java GSS? I never figured out how to configure this with Tomcat.

If you are in a hurry, you may want to have a look at Jespa : www.ioplex.com.
Have it installed at numerous customers sites and works great.

About the sequence of rewrite/forward with IIS, have a look at isapi_rewrite :
http://www.helicontech.com/isapi_rewrite/doc/

It can pick up the user's Windows domain user-id, and pass it on as a HTTP
header.
You would then need a simple servlet filter at the Tomcat level, to pick up the content of this header and use it as the authenticated Tomcat user-id.