Nino Martinez wrote:
> Hi Curtis
>
> You cant really compare wicket against Grails, Wicket is not a full
> stack framework (Wicket is only a webframework).. And actually Grails
> can run with wicket too[1]... Or are you saying that dynamic languages
> are better than type safety?  Not that I want to start a religious war
> though, im not that well wandered in neither Grails, Rails etc to know
> whats better or not..

I agree that it is not a fair comparison, and I do not wish to imply
that Grails is better than Wicket or that dynamic languages are better
then strongly typed languages. I don't wish to imply anything other than
report my experience on how effective I 'felt' while developing the same
application in Grails and Wicket.
> I guess what you are saying are that the Spring plus hibernate combo
> could be better..? There are a lot of alternatives to that combo.. Or
> is it that Grails has better templating support?

Grails hides the ORM and dependency injection libraries and replaces the
configuration with convention. It was the Spring and Hibernate
configuration that bogged me down and perhaps biased me a bit against
the Wicket solution.

> Anyhow what I am seeing are that Wicket are always the least of my
> troubles, it's always something else and usually it's not Spring
> either so that only leaves the ORM as trouble maker, or is it the
> programmet :) On larger projects you kind of develop your own
> framework (with Wicket+.*) for the business logic and when you get
> there speed really picks up.

I agree, at least as far as I can with my little experience with Wicket.

I did not mean to sound sour against Wicket. I like the framework, which
is why when my boss went running from Grails like an extra in a Godzilla
movie, I pushed for Wicket. I just personally feel more effective using
Grails/Rails than I do with Wicket. Your mileage will vary ;)

Confidential/Privileged information may be contained in this email. If you are
not the intended recipient, please do not copy, distribute or use it for any
purpose, nor disclose its contents to any other person. Please notify the
sender immediately if you receive this in error.