A popular Indian product FINACLE has an applet which kind of acts as a
fat client and each time a customer detail or scheme detail is fetched
the whole detail gets downloaded into the applet. But it is not an
pure offline application as only the current page can we viewed or
changed and every time you try to commit,  it searches for the
network.

May be it helps
taha