Did you check if a session is actually created, e.g. do you see a cookie?

I cannot imagine that if you use the exact same flow, and the only
difference is the domain name, it would work in the one case but not the
other.
What happens exactly? Getting the session returns null?

I suggest you try a debugger for finding out what's happening inside the
WicketSessionFilter.