On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 20:40:04 -0300, Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail wrote:

> Now I am free to do whatever I want. This is the worst part. :-)

I understand that feeling! When I started designing our web app
framework, I picked the technologies from an enormous set of options that
I thought would make app development as rapid and robust as possible. The
title of your message "best practices" suggests though that you want to
stick to the mainstream solutions.

> So, ideas on what to use?

If you want to avoid ORMs completely, you could consider an object
database like DB4O as we have in Granite. Granite is currently is not
quite complete and poorly documented, and written Scala not Java, but
there is surely something you can use there if you want to go down a that
path - even if its just ideas and sample code.