I personally use Wicket / Spring / JPA Hibernate / PostgreSQL.  Hibernate
because I know how to tune it and I'm too busy learning other new technologies
to focus on replacing one that is working for my needs now.  Spring because it
helps immensely with unit testing and marginally by promoting good patterns
(note these are two "nice to have" but not critical requirements for a small
project).  I'd have to agree with the previous poster that Wicket is the one
tried and true, money back guaranteed must have technology in the entire stack.

If you are just learning ORM for the first time, DataNucleus does look like a
better way to go.

I would focus more on patterns and interfaces than on technologies.  Liberal
use of patterns will keep your code honest and help you to refactor out or in
technologies as necessary in the future.  Interfaces can always be extracted
later, but having replaceable implementations are a huge benefit for migration
between technologies.  You'll never get the perfect mix of technologies because
they change all the time, but your application's domain focus will change very
little.  The name of the game is to keep these realms as separate as possible.

One thing about Spring for a beginner is that you don't absolutely need it to
get started with.  It's a big framework and it's core competency is dependency
injection.  OTOH, the biggest thing it provides for small projects is a stable
and well-maintained framework for database transactions.  If you want to use
Spring, read the first chapter of the reference, skip to the database chapter,
THEN skip back as necessary to fill in the gaps on how to set up the database.
That's the fastest way to learn it.  Once you get started with it, the learning
comes naturally.  If you use Spring, immediately learn the @SpringBean
annotation in Wicket.

Good luck!

Brian