On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 1:05 AM, Carl-Eric Menzel <cmen...@wicketbuch.de> wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 12:16:00 -0800
> Igor Vaynberg <igor.vaynb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> the difficult part is that doing this to complex pages is...difficult.
>> in the example above it is easy to see the two components that need to
>> be renested. but, in complex pages there can be 20 components that
>> need to be renested, and they are probably initially added from a
>> bunch of helper methods that attempted to keep the code clean. so, it
>> may be difficult to find all 20 componets. queuing can make
>> maintenance and refactoring of pages easier.
>
> I can see how it might make it somewhat easier, but it seems to me that
> one is treading on rather thin ice.

well. the thin ice part of the argument remains to be proven. when can
it cause problems? how about some practical examples?

> And speaking of these helper methods: Maybe it's my increasingly
> functional style coming from some exposure to Scala, but I really hate
> it when these methods add stuff behind my back to anything else than
> the component they're returning.

you are explicitly telling it to add things behind your back. the
queue() method does not replace the add(), its an addition. it
operates on a container, so it returns the container back - that makes
sense.

>> yes, ive had to do it plenty times. ive had to go into pages that were
>> already written and ajaxify them. sometimes a table needs to be
>> updated via ajax, it needs to be wrapped in a container. other times a
>> set of related form fields needs to be updated, its easier to wrap
>> them in a container and update it rather then having to add them one
>> by one from multiple places.
>
> But wouldn't such a page be a prime candidate for a proper refactoring
> anyway? I'm getting a "quick & dirty" feeling.

not at all. adding three or four ajax-zones into an existing page does
not warrant a refactor, nor would there be anything to refactor. there
was no need for these things before, they are there purely to
facilitate the new requirement of making something ajaxy.

-igor