Does the redirect to the home page happen because of Wicket's default render
strategy (REDIRECT_TO_BUFFER) that causes two requests?  You invalidate
session on the first which redirects to the buffered response. When the
second request comes in expecting to get the already-rendered response, you
get a new session.