It's obvious that selection of leafs (implemented as
BookmarcableLinks) is NOT handled by Ajax.

BookmarkableFolderContent.java : 62

                                        PageParameters parameters = new
PageParameters();
                                        parameters.add("foo", foo.getId());

                                        return new
BookmarkablePageLink<Void>(id, tree.getPage()
                                                        .getClass(),
parameters);

Or you can take a look at FB console and see network activity.

Best regards
Alexandr