Martin Grigorov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here is an example of the produced markup for an single INFO message:

>   <ul class="feedbackPanel">
>     <li class="feedbackPanelINFO">
> stringProperty = 'test', integerProperty = 100, doubleProperty = 20.5,
> booleanProperty = false, integerInRangeProperty = 50, urlProperty =
> http://wicket.apache.org, phoneNumberUS = (123) 456-1234,
> numberRadioChoice = 1, numbersCheckgroup [], numberRadioGroup= null,
> selected sites {], lines [line one, line two, line three]]</span>
>     </li>
>   </ul>
>
> Why do we need the new getters when you can just use normal CSS selectors:
>
> div.feedbackPanel {}
> div.feedbackPanel span {}
> ul.feedbackPanel {}
> li.feedbackPanelINFO {}
> span.feedbackPanelINFO {}
>
> What is the big CSS/HTML design problem that I miss ?

That feedbackPanelINFO is set both on li and on span.

In my current project, CSS styling is not done by us, but by a
designer and is shared over several projects, most of them who
don't use Wicket. The CSS styling is just for feedbackPanelINFO,
not for li.feedbackPanelINFO.

AFAIU, similar problems appear in portlet situations, or in other
situations where you don't control CSS fully. As Alec mentions,
Twitter bootstrap is an other example.

Btw, I never wrote that this is a "big" design problem. I just say
that IMHO it's an existing one that goes beyond a single project.
The standard way we cope in our projects is a more-or-less empty
FeedbackPanel subclass with replaced HTML. Not pretty, as we ignore
module boundaries for wicket identifiers; but the alternative --
copying the complete code of FeedbackPanel to a project specific
class -- wouldn't be good either.

        Joachim