Id use one of various Javascript libs to implement this sort of
functionality - I think select2 and datatables would both work for such a
list (I think they both support infinite scrolling lists) that only
render/send a page of information at a time. There's a wicket-select2
library, but its fairly minimal in nature - you'll need to understand the
JS docs to get anywhere with it. I think there's a Wicket lib for
Datatables, but I dont know its maintenance status.  There are countless
other JS libraries to do this as well.

Nick