I guess you could build something with just the core framework, but I think
it would be a lot clunkier than one of the libs - for instance, on the
client side JS libs, you get events that can trigger Ajax callbacks to load
the next set of data while the user is scrolling through the list - since
its async, its much smoother and a better experience.

Ive used (and am using in a current project) both select2 and datatables.
 While the initial learning curve is reasonable with both libs (you're not
likely to be able to avoid writing your own JS init/config for these
components), they are stable, and work very well.