I've tried looking at a DITA document:

http://dita2indesign.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/dita2indesign/trunk/dita_gutenberg_samples/dita_src/eb_vol_04_part_03_of_04/entries/entry-d1e3965.xml?revision=97&view=markup

I'm not sure it's a good example of a DITA document. The only specific tag I
can see is the "<ph>" tag.

It seems you should be able to convert a DITA document to XWiki syntax with
macros. This would probably be best done by a DITA -> XDOM converter with a
list of DITA tags that need to be converted to macros.

Maybe some of the macro content could be stored in XWiki objects to help
navigating the meta data.
Also a DITA class could be added to give the info that is in the ditamap
which lists all documents part of it.

The complexity here all depends on how many DITA specific tag you would like
to support.

Ludovic

Do you have an example of a DITA document.

2011/10/19 jerem <jeremie.bousq...@gmail.com>

> > I've heard of DITA in the past. What I'm not sure to understand is what
> is
> > the benefit of supporting DITA.
> > How do you actually model documents with DITA and suppose you are round
> > tripping back to DITA from XWiki, what do you actually do with the output
> > ?
> You model by creating documents parts as XML files (fragments, concepts in
> dita world), and you can aggregate them to form a document by creating a
> dita map file, basically a summary referencing all needed fragments. You
> generate final document (pdf, rtf, xml, whatever) through a build process
> (ant or maven) from the sources (xml/ditamap/images/...).
> Fragments content "looks like" XHTML but with dita specific tags (<fig>,
> <note> ...).
> For us it's quite useful as we can easily define parts that are reused
> among
> documents (terminology, contacts ...) without heavy copy/paste, and
> integrate the documentation in overall build process. It's a bit like a
> maven site, but greatly more sophisticated and adapted to projects
> technical
> documents output.
>
> Our use-case for integrating XWiki in the loop is because the people
> targeted by these documents have no easy possibility to :
> - view final documents "online"
> - add their own comments to documents before they are delivered (in an
> easier way than bug tracking on documents ...)
>
> Publication to XWiki would solve this issue... Reverting back modifications
> from XWiki to DITA format would add more collaboration by letting "end
> users" propose modifications even if they don't know much about dita.
>
> Well I realize it's a bit out-of-scope of this thread, because dita is not
> what we could call "popular". But if I investigate more on this subject
> I'll
> open a new thread (if you're interested of course).

Ludovic Dubost
Founder and CEO
Blog: http://blog.ludovic.org/
XWiki: http://www.xwiki.com