Hi Vincent,

Thanks and apologies -- I hadn't ignored your email response, I was just
swamped with work (release time).

I was only vaguely aware of XOffice but didn't have time to explore it, but it
looks like it may have been what we needed (at least partially).  What the
users didn't like overall was having to relearn text formatting tools, when
everyone is familiar with Word.  eg. making headers, tables of content, and
especially making tables.  They found table editing particularly frustrating.
Even simple things like keyboard shortcuts for bold, italics, etc. didn't
always work (though that was because the browser would trap them).  I regret
not having the time to feedback all of this while it was going on; most of my
wiki support work was done on spare (unbillable) time, and I had little of that
of late.

Unfortunately, we're a small team, so time to support the system and train
users was effectively nil.  I know that's not a good state to be in, but when
there's limited time and we have to decide between writing code or learning how
to use a wiki, writing code always wins out.  I had used XWiki for myself,
starting with things like note taking, procedure documentation, and doing some
technical specification templates and using them to spec. out some projects.  I
thought it was a perfect way to collaborate, not only between developers but
also with the client.  But anytime there's even a perceived learning curve for
a new tool, there's going to be resistance.  I know that's a fact of everyday
work, but it's especially so with a small bill-by-the-hour team.

As for "ideas for integrating with user's favorite editors", I haven't really
had time to think thoroughly about that.  I don't know if it's something like
XWord, or if it's just a matter of duplicating (to the extent possible) the
Word interface within the XWiki GUI editor.  I've used HTML editors before, so
perhaps that helped me in putting up with it's general peculiarities.  I've
found, for example, making bulleted lists exactly the way you want is not
trivial with HTML editors (as opposed to with Word).

I think something like XOffice would go a long way to capturing the
Word-oriented users, as long as it's unobtrusive and instinctive to use.  I
think efficiency of creating content is key more than the formatting frills
available -- otherwise users will quickly become frustrated and give up
prematurely.  I know that once over the learning curve (as with any tool) it's
a very rich environment for collaboration -- so the trick is to minimize that
learning curve by starting out with something familiar.

I don't know if that's helped any, or if I'm just rambling at this point.
Thanks again for your attention.

Trevor