Hi,

The tcp-nio protocol is labeled as experimental so there might be surprises
with that as opposed to tcp.
The udp protocol depends on multicast which is likely to be broken in real
world networks as almost nothing depends on it.
I observed the pinging of the next higher port in my testing, here in the
default tcp.xml it is configured
to ping 7800 and 7801
https://github.com/belaban/JGroups/blob/master/conf/tcp.xml#L45

Caleb