I guess the problem is that if one want to use "hostname" based subwikis and
not path-basd subwikis,
unfortunately one need to change the config in two places:

- set "url.standard.multiwiki.isPathBased=false" in xwiki.properies
- set "xwiki.virtual.usepath=0" in xwiki.cfg

Can you check if you maybe forgot to set the latter? I can reproduce your
problem if I leave "xwiki.virtual.usepath" in the default setting.

Clemens