Still haven't resolved this problem. Tried different versions of XWiki,
different browsers, different linux editions, etc.

And one more thing I've noticed in the browser developer tools:
The error messages in the console include the link to the related .js file.
like this one:
tree.js:1 Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token <

And when I click the tree.js link it opens an xwiki HTML page source instead
of the .js file!

It starts with:
<!DOCTYPE html>
        data-xwiki-reference="xwiki:Sandbox.tree\.js"
    data-xwiki-document="Sandbox.tree\.js"
    data-xwiki-wiki="xwiki"
    data-xwiki-space="Sandbox"
    data-xwiki-page="tree.js"

JavaScript is not among languages I'm familiar with, but I have a big
suspicion that this is wrong.

Maybe this would give someone a clue?