Thomas, I login under superadmin and see history in
/xwiki/bin/view/XWiki/XWikiPreferences  - creater was superadmin. For most
system pages owner is admin. In /xwiki/bin/admin/XWiki/XWikiPreferences
owner admin. I did update xwiki to 8.4.1 under admin too. But admin and
superadmin don't see administrator panel in
/xwiki/bin/view/XWiki/XWikiPreferences. But under admin I may edit
/xwiki/bin/view/XWiki/XWikiPreferences in object editor.
And I don't know why my custom  users in admin group (not admin and
superadmin) lost all rights after update...

May be it is better to update xwiki from 7.1.2 to 7.4.5 first ?