In standard XE, CKEditor is indicated as default in
/etc/xwiki/xwiki.properties configuration file.

Maybe you had conflict at some point in xwiki.properties and kept the
previous version (and then apt kept it like this since there was no
change in standard xwiki.properties file).

Here is how it's supposed to look like at the end:

#-# [Since 8.2RC1]
#-# Indicate the default editor to use for a specific data type.
#-# The editors are components so they are specified using their role
hints.
#-# Some data types can be edited in multiple ways, by different types
of editors.
#-# Thus you can also indicate the default editor to use from a
specific category (editor type).
#-#
#-# The format is this:
#-# edit.defaultEditor.<dataType>=<roleHintOrCategory>
#-# edit.defaultEditor.<dataType>#<category>=<roleHintOrSubCategory>
#-#
#-# The default bindings are:
# edit.defaultEditor.org.xwiki.rendering.syntax.SyntaxContent=text
# edit.defaultEditor.org.xwiki.rendering.syntax.SyntaxContent#text=text
# edit.defaultEditor.org.xwiki.rendering.block.XDOM=text
# edit.defaultEditor.org.xwiki.rendering.block.XDOM#text=text
edit.defaultEditor.org.xwiki.rendering.syntax.SyntaxContent#wysiwyg=ckeditor
edit.defaultEditor.org.xwiki.rendering.block.XDOM#wysiwyg=ckeditor

--
Thomas Mortagne