> From: Guedo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Some help please.
>
> My new max 1600 + miles is cutting out.
> This is the third time it has happened.
> At about 600 miles I put on Super Trap slip ons and a
> K&N filter.  Even with stock pipes it has a bit of
> radical cam lope sound which I like at idle and low
> rpms.
> Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that i have a full set of
> disks on the Trapps and then i added a spacer of about
> 1/4" spacer. Sounds great.
> So, now I have either fouled a plug or I have trash in
> the fuel orfice. I am worried that when I take it in
> they will blame my exhaust for the problem. It runs
> and hits on all four when idle or a bit above that but
> drops to three under acceleration. I think it is fuel
> related. Should I have re-jetted? And if so where do I
> start with jet sizes?
> I am going to change the plugs before anything but how
> do I approach this?
> Dave

Dave,

        How clean is your K&N air filter ?  make sure this is in good shape before
you do
anything else. What octane of gas do u run ? ( I switched to regular 87 octane gas
and my
Vmax runs like its on nitrous compared to before) Plug condition ?
ignition timing ? cam clearance ?   all of these things should be correct before
you
get near the carbs for rejetting or syncing.

I have been kinda dissapointed with how my 94 Vmax ran at low rpms everysince
I purchased the bike in july of this summer. I was completely ready to dive into
the carbs
after reading all this stuff on the tech list. BUT, its always best [smart] to
change the
easy/cheap stuff 1st. I installed a new oem Yamaha air filter (my Vmax is
completely stock)
new NGK plugs, switched to regular gas (87 octane) and the bike runs like I
installed
a new (MUCH BETTER) engine...........
    I have no idea how much (if any) better your airflow is with the slip-ons, but
its my
understanding that you have to do some changes to the carbs when you switch to the

K&N air filter.   Stage 1

                                              Steve Moore  94 Vmax
                                                  VMOA#1368